Welcome to the Schneider Tavern, the original local tavern and stagecoach stop in Frontenac, now a private residence. Beautiful features include old wood floors, huge pantry doors, spacious rooms, and a lovely front porch reconstructed from the original design. Situated on a large corner lot with attached garage and original small barn, this quiet location offers access to Lake Pepin and the Mississippi River, state parks, and golfing, with the Twin Cities and Rochester within an hours drive.
Built in 1862 by Engelbert Haller and Kasper Koch, the building's original purpose was to operate as a general store, however, two years after completion it was sold to Jacob Schneider who used it as a tavern and for lodging. The tavern and store were located on the main floor (now the living room and office), with simple accommodations to rent upstairs. A separate entrance on the side of the home was used so guests could access the rented rooms and store without passing through the tavern, and is thus the reason why the main staircase is located behind the front rooms. The Schneider Tavern was in operation until 1887 when it was sold to the son of Evert Westervelt.
Fun Fact: the original limestone hitching post is still present in the front yard, as are the original limestone stagecoach steps
Westervelt arrived to the area from Pennsylvania in 1852 and is the founder of the small town of Frontenac, originally named Westervelt. Having opened a local limestone quarry of dolomite shortly after his arrival (which supplied all the local limestone foundations, walls, and tombstones), he purchased a total of 320 acres of land as the site of his new town and began the process of plotting streets and lots to sell to future settlers. In 1859, the town was renamed Frontenac in honor of Louis de Buade de Frontenac, governor general of Canada between 1670-1698. (Minnesota did not become a state until 1858).
The home stayed in the Westervelt family until it was purchased in 1982 by Barbara and Tom Lowell, who began the restoration process and opened the home as a bed and breakfast. In 1999, the current owner purchased the home, and over a decade, restored and updated the home further. A new kitchen was completed in 2012, as was an upstairs bathroom. For convenience, a laundry was installed in a large closet next to the upstairs bathroom. All bedrooms are spacious with original hardwood floors.